Friday, February 18, 2011

The Littlest Sled Dog by Michael Kusugak

The Littlest Sled DogThe Littlest Sled Dog, written by Michael Kusugak and illustrated by Vladyana Krykorka, is a very cute story about a little dog that dreams big dreams.  Igvillu, the little terrier that is the main character in the story, wants to be a sled dog, and that's why I decided to feature this book at this time.   The Canadian Challenge Sled Dog Race is set to start February 21st.

Michael Kusugak, the author, grew up in the North West Territories and this book is just one of the books he has written.  You can find out how to pronounce the Igvillu at the bottom of The Littlest Sled Dog page on his site

The illustrator, Vladyana Krykorka, was born in Czechoslovakia but now lives in Canada.  On her website you will find a list of the books she has illustrated.

Anna and I simply read and enjoyed the book but I see us coming back to it again in the future.  It would make a great addition to a study of dogs as there are a number of different kinds of dogs mentioned in the book.  There are also a lot of different places mentioned in the book and next time around I see us taking advantage of that and sneaking in some social studies as we look for the places on maps and in atlases.

Don't forget to Vote for your Favorite Book Featured in January? 
Come join our Book a Day Challenge for a chance for a prize!
On our Newsletter blog sign up to have the monthly newsletter delivered to your email address or blog reader.

1 comment:

  1. I woke up this morning with a terrible taste in my mouth. Of all the days to find out my wife threw away my toothbrush… So I drank mouthwash and got some breakfast, but I’m not feeling well. I’m not sick, but there’s a sensation permeating my body that says something isn’t right with me. This is the worst cigar hangover I’ve ever had. flexpetz.com

    ReplyDelete