Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Have I got a book for you! by Melanie Watt

Have I Got a Book for You!In Have I got a book for you!, written and illustrated by Melanie Watt, Mr. Al Foxword tries to sell you the book in true salesman fashion, using all sorts of salesmen's tricks and speeches.

To be perfectly honest, I didn't especially like this book and I'm not sure what Anna thought about it.  I tried to make it fun but I'm sure my true lack of enthusiasm shone through.  She did have some giggles at parts of the book but I really think a lot of it went right over her head.  I did think the torn corner at the end of the book was kind of a cute touch.

To learn more about the story you can check out the YouTube video of some grade 4 students reading Have I Got a Book For You!.  The Texas Librarian offers some reading strategies and lesson plan ideas for Have I Got a Book For You!.  On the Kids Can Press page devoted to Have I Got a Book for You!, you will find information about the book and a link to a pdf of Have I Got a Book for You! Learning Resource Material with a number of ideas for using the book as a basis for some learning.

This is the second book that I've featured by Melanie Watts, the first being Chester.  I know a lot of people really like Melanie Watt books, but I'm finding I struggle with her books. It seems to take a number of re-readings and research before I really grow to appreciate them.   

No comments:

Post a Comment