Thursday, July 14, 2011

The ABC's of the Real Treat! by Samantha Gerbeau

The ABC's of the Real Treat! by Samantha Gerbeau is a small booklet put together to use to talk to children about eating healthy.  It is an alphabet book that suggests healthy foods to eat for each letter of the alphabet.  The author had developed some educator's extra's, including a facilator's guide and an ABC's slideshow, to go with the book.

I have mixed feelings about this book.  It's kind of cute and a good tool to encourage talking about eating healthy but I don't think either Anna or I particularly enjoyed the book much.  I found some of the rhymes really irritating and contrived so I may have reflected my dislike for it in my reading and that may have influenced Anna.  When I discovered that there were extra resources to go with the book I thought maybe it might be redeemable in some way but I was disappointed to see that the resources were not free, and even that the prices were a little steep in my mind.  Great idea for a book and kind of fun but not one that we'll likely read again.

1 comment:

  1. HI Jacqueline, thank you for reviewing my book. I am interested in knowing where you got a copy. The book was designed as a take home gift once they finished The ABC's Picnic with me. Perhaps if I had the support of other publishers when I was trying to create more awareness about food security for Newfoundland and Labrador and healthy eating for everyone, then the whole program would be available at a affordable price for teachers. The book was written for children not adults, perhaps its why you find some of the rhyming irritating.

    ReplyDelete